Sunday, April 18, 2010

So I have made my first trek from my site to the capital. I was lucky and was able to catch a ride with Peace Corps for the two-day trek instead of having to do it all by taxi, which is gonna be miserable. But we'll wait to talk about that until it happens. On the way here, I took lots of scenic pics somewhere around 200. I'll try to get more up while I'm here, which may be all week, it's uncertain as of today. On the way here, I saw things I hope to never see again and I saw things that made me smile. Let's go ahead and talk about the ones that made me smile. I saw a dog sun bathing with it's front paws crossed. I love seeing dogs cross their front paws. It just makes me smile. As we were going up a hill, there was a man, I would guess around 60yrs old along with a 6yr old child, coming towards us downhill on a wagon. He had this amazingly happy expression on his face I couldn't help big cheese extremely big. As we traveled, I enjoyed the fresh air blowing on my face, even though it got cold as we neared the capital. But by doing this, I experienced smells that brought me back to my time spent in Massachusetts, times spent at festivals and just some other memories. Ahhh how peaceful it is to be able to re-experience such good times in my life half-way across the world.

I am extremely happy in my village. I have had my share of ups and downs. When I'm having a down moment, I try to go for a bike ride or visit with the family that lives near me that has become my family. While on my bike ride, I try to smile and say hello to every person that I pass by. This really helps me get outta my slump. I was heading home after a frustrating day and was going downhill when a little girl was at the bottom yelling, "DONA!" (doonah) which is a fist pound that I do to everyone in my village. They love it and so do I. That made me smile so big.

I miss all you a lot. I will be able to have internet for a little while and have great reception so give me a call, drop me a line....OH right before I left to come to the capital I received my first wave of packages!!!! MOM, JULIE, LAURA T, PATTY, JESS....I got them all and as far as I know they all had their contents in them. However, since I was heading to the capital I sent them back to my village with Kabby. Didn't want to have to bring them to the capital and eat everything so I didn't actually open any of them. But they were all in tact. So yes. They were all sent to the Farafangana address. I have minimized my addresses to the two that have been working the best for us. So yeah. Thanks everyone for your love and support. I luv and miss you all....take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment